Friday, September 5, 2008

Seinfeld, Gates & Microsoft: Can we have an idea please?!

OK, I'm starting with a disclaimer: I hate Seinfeld and Microsoft but I do respect Gates as an entrepreneur. Jerry is a no-talent wank, who only benefited from the genius writing of Larry David, as anyone who has watched Curb Your Enthusiasm knows, and Microsoft, is well... Microsoft.

Which is exactly why they need a new brand/ image campaign.



But this commercial is really not good. And the corporate backpedaling/spin control has already begun. From CNET:

===================
Brad Brooks, Microsoft's vice president of consumer marketing for Windows, said Microsoft's pitches will start to get more concrete in about a month, centering on the notion that "Windows stands for living on your own terms."
===================

Wow. Seriously! And I thought there was no idea behind the execution... turns out there's no strategy either. Crispin is either so full of itself, they believe they are in the entertainment business, or MS is so corporate that they got the campaign they deserved. Either way, my agency can deliver no idea for far less than the gazillion $'s behind this horror show.

So that's what it comes down to. I'm jealous. And I believe I could do better.

Even an obvious idea, repeated over and over would be better:

"Windows Opens Doors"

There 10 seconds... can I have 10 million dollars now. Crispin or M$, give me a call and I'll flesh out the idea for you...

Update: Others are beginning to search for an idea here too... Maybe it's about Kinky Sex.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, an scathing review from a company that also produces ads. Can we have a stereotype please?

Team Gold Counter said...

Who better to evaluate the work? Stereotype?